N5 Barilla Spaghetti
Fairprice prepacked streaky bacon
Emborg whipping cream
FeelFill a pan with water, salt generously and bring to the boil
- Fry up some bacon in an oven until it goes crispy, then slice it into mini bits
- Grate the cheese and mix it in a bowl with the egg yolks, cream and pepper, whisk until evenly mixed
- Drain the pasta when it is al dente
- Transfer the pasta into a pan, then turn on a low heat
- Pour the sauce into the pan and mix well
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice
Food for thought:
- By strict definitions, this is neither a proper carbonara nor an alfredo. But it is closer to a carbonara, and outside of Italy people put cream in their carbonara, and I think it tastes better.
- I have tried making it the traditional way, where the pasta is tossed in the oil/grease that the bacon released while cooking, and the sauce just a mixture of egg yolks, cheese, salt and pepper. But I like this more. It feels more pleasant to the palate. The sauce is light and sweet.